Re: thin clients/ X stations?

Subject: Re: thin clients/ X stations?
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 17:15:18 AKDT

(Grr...didn't sent to list. Didn't this this used to have have a default
reply-to header of aklug@aklug.org?)

Yeah, old machines would work, but my thought on that is this: 1) memory for
those things is expensive 2) you need harddrives to install Linux locally 3)
you eliminate the zero-admin ease of network booting since machines that old
usually can't boot over the network, then you're back to keeping every client
up to date.

I just like the thin-client/zero-admin thing a whole lot better.

j----- k-----

On Monday 22 September 2003 18:46, you wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:23:41 -0800
>
> "Joshua J.Kugler" <isd@as.uaf.edu> wrote:
> > Here's what I think you'd need:
> >
> > Via C3 933 (PIII 500-ish performance) at the most
> > 128MB of memory (more? less?)
> > Network connection
> > Excellent 2D and decent 3D performance out of the video card
> > Sound: how does that work? Some kind of sound over the network? What
> > about playing CD's locally? That sounds interesting.
> >
> > Thoughts? Ideas? Tips?
>
> You don't need much at all. Here in Juneau we had a demo lab set up with a
> P90/32MB RAM, and a P100/48MB RAM as thin clients. They ran a stripped
> down Debian (the base install plus X) and worked just fine.
>
> As long as you have the horsepower to run an X display, you're set. The
> video card is probably more important than the processor, and the network
> speed needs equal attention.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
isd@asuaf.org, 907-474-7601