Re: thin clients/ X stations?

Subject: Re: thin clients/ X stations?
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 17:15:36 AKDT

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 11:02, you wrote:
> NCDs are true X terminals - they have no hard drive, almost no
> CPU...just VGA out, kbd and mouse in, and sound out. No moving parts,
> even. Pretty reliable as a result.
>
> And we've put three or four of them on one 100mbit switch, too - so yes,
> the network load is really high, but the amount of money you spend on
> computer hardware is very low, by comparison - all in all, a darn fine
> setup, if your server is trustworthy.

X terminals sound great, but...what are the prices on those perdy NCD900's?
$300? $400? At that point, you kind buy a pretty nice low-end system, and it
all familar x86 stuff, with commodity hardware, and even probably a GForce
2MX for really good graphics. Comments?

j----- k-----

> ~Mac~
>
> > Hello All-
> >
> > Several years ago, (back when workstation running the unices/linices were
> > $$$$) I worked in an environment with lots of NCD X stations.
> >
> > NCD made a fine product. As I recall you had to boot over the net but
> > that has probably changed.
> >
> > One thing though, This REALLY increases the load on the network, esp if
> > doing X-intensive applications. Of course, word processing or other
> > typical office tasks are pretty light on resource demands. So... that
> > will probably not be a problem, especially at 100 Mb ethernet.
> >
> > PQO
> >
> > >I'm starting to play with X stations and thin clients=2E Anyone know a
> > > lo= cal
> > >source for these, maybe one of the banks is surplusing out some? If I
> > > had=
> > >
> > >my choice I'm accumulating NCD's and Explora 451's=2E
> > >
> > >Thanks

> > | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
> > | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
> > | University of Alaska Anchorage |
> > | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
> > | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
> >
> > ---------

Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
isd@asuaf.org, 907-474-7601