Re: thin clients/ X stations?

Subject: Re: thin clients/ X stations?
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 18:46:47 AKDT

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:23:41 -0800
"Joshua J.Kugler" <isd@as.uaf.edu> wrote:

> Here's what I think you'd need:
>
> Via C3 933 (PIII 500-ish performance) at the most
> 128MB of memory (more? less?)
> Network connection
> Excellent 2D and decent 3D performance out of the video card
> Sound: how does that work? Some kind of sound over the network? What about
> playing CD's locally? That sounds interesting.
>
> Thoughts? Ideas? Tips?

You don't need much at all. Here in Juneau we had a demo lab set up with a P90/32MB RAM, and a P100/48MB RAM as thin clients. They ran a stripped down Debian (the base install plus X) and worked just fine.

As long as you have the horsepower to run an X display, you're set. The video card is probably more important than the processor, and the network speed needs equal attention.

Cheers,

James