Re: The Real Issue (not Re: Friday Nites @ APU)

Subject: Re: The Real Issue (not Re: Friday Nites @ APU)
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 21:13:36 AKST

Adam Elkins wrote:

> Ok, from what I understood, the AK and APU Lugs were seprate....APU has
> alwasys been on Fridays, and from what I can tell, the AK was during the
> weekday. ...

Yep, AKLUG has been meeting on Wednesday evenings ever since Mike B.
made arrangements for such nice chairs and quiet space. Before that it
was Saturday breakfasts. Before that .... ??

> Is the AKLUG moving to Fridays as well? Is the AK and APU
> mergeing? I guess I'm a bit confused.

While Jan had his store near Northway mall, some AKLUGers started using
the tables in his gaming room for self-help work sessions. Jan shut down
and went back to school. Joe Ryan got us a home at the Muldoon Mall
"Northeast Community Center". We billed ourselves as "Friday Linux".
Donovan invited AKLUG to APU for a big Saturday INSTALLFEST. The Friday
Linux crowd liked the bandwidth, and we could stay later into the
evening ...

Donovan started APULUG as a student club. When he left the available
students became Pres & VP. Papers didn't get submitted last fall and
the APU student organization ceased to exist; too few active students to
resuscitate the club under current university student organization rules

The "Friday Linux" thread never died, it keeps morphing along.

We help each other (and anyone else brave enough to expose a box to our
eager investigation :-)

We stand ready to continue helping APU students/faculty who want what we
have to offer. Same goes for UAA. Carrier Academy students are welcome
to come and get confused/infected.

Last month we had only ethernet connections.
Now we might be getting telephone dialup for testing modem equipped
boxes.

> Another point, What will the APULUG be called now? being that we are no
> longer at APU...

The "Friday Linux" moniker might still work.
Most of our effort goes into hauling boxes and fiddling around.
Few voice concern with organization or legal status.
Donations mostly come w/o strings; want another 2meg PCI video card?