Re: Friday Nites @ APU

Subject: Re: Friday Nites @ APU
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 01:22:48 AKST

Holy Cow! I forgot about Mike Tibor - IT denizen of the Consortium
Library and all-around good-guy.

Those of us interested in finding a home where we can count on a
weekly meeting to bring our boxen and installation problems (not to
mention the odd robot or home-brew box) ought to be thinking of how
our presence can benefit the organization providing the space and
pipe. This is not the first time a group has been welcomed
initially, but after time and a change or two in administrators, the
group has found the welcome mat withdrawn. Two points loom large in
my memory: a) the group forgets its guest status, and b) the
administrator(s) forget the reason(s) the group was offered a home
in the first place. Both a) and b) are the responsibility of the
group to keep fresh if they want to continue the relationship.

I note that Mike's comments are an early warning of the above two
points. There are members of this group who are benefiting from the
facilities provided by UAA and are students at UAA, but they are not
aware of the relationship. Also, if Mike disappears, would this very
list disappear? It is not too late to attend to improving the
group's relationship to UAA. Also,

I for one am very thankful that we had the opportunity to gather at
APU. Some gesture to indicate our gratitude to APU is just basic,
Kindergarten level, human relations. I think the very minimum would
be the "Thank You" card with a dozen or so signatures.

Well, it looks like I have gotten my money's worth. Cheerio! fgd