Re: Fatal Server Error: no screens found

Subject: Re: Fatal Server Error: no screens found
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 21:03:29 AKST

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Justin Dieters wrote:

> Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file (or it might be XF86Config.4 - I
> don't know which RedHat uses) using vi or emacs.
>

> > The hardware I am using is a four or five year old Gateway NS-7000 which was
> > originally a packaged NT 4.0 server.

If reducing your color depth doesn't work, then Justin hit on another
possible issue - I believe RedHat 7.2 defaults to using XFree 4, while
your older hardware (assuming original video is still there) may not be
XFree 4 compatible. RedHat allows you to roll back to XFree 3.x if that
is the case. Although from the error message, I'd assume it's just a
color depth issue.

I forget which ones are which, but it will be in your docs/on google -
there is a difference between the various Xconfigurator utilites in the
X11R6/bin directory on a RedHat box. One will configure your system to
use XFree 4, the other for XFree 3.x...

(Sorry about the lack of detail, but I don't have any RH boxes with X
installed anymore. I'm a Postfix user & RH7.2 makes it too inconvenient
to replace SendMail.)

Cheers,

James