Network design

Subject: Network design
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 21:50:32 AKST

Speaking of this Friday, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as
to help me redesign my home network at the CA friday. Give me some tips
and suggestions.

Currently I have my laptop (main computer), my server
(enderakonline.com) and my girlfriend's Windows machine all just
directly connected to a hub and then a cable modem.

I want to add a firewall, gateway, etc to put between the cable modem
and the internal network - was hoping for someone to help me figure out
what I needed to do (mostly software/config stuff). Also what would I
need to do or change to keep my server up and running while still being
behind the firewall.. Stuff like that - mainly a crash course in the basics.

I am pretty sure I can pick up and old pentium 120 or 150 from work,
which should be enough, I think? And I have a couple isa network cards
around, which i believe work in linux. I might be able to get the
machine by this friday, although I don't know what can be done without
it actually being plugged into my network...

Anyway, if anyone feels up to it, let me know!

Thanks,
Justin