Re: thin clients/ X stations?

Subject: Re: thin clients/ X stations?
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 17:23:41 AKDT

Yeah, I can see that. Then you always have the option of expansion when you
need more machines.

So...what kind of machines are people using for this kind of stuff? I know
the Via Eden platform has some nice specs, but even some of those machines
seem a bit overkill for a true "thin" client.

Here's what I think you'd need:

Via C3 933 (PIII 500-ish performance) at the most
128MB of memory (more? less?)
Network connection
Excellent 2D and decent 3D performance out of the video card
Sound: how does that work? Some kind of sound over the network? What about
playing CD's locally? That sounds interesting.

Thoughts? Ideas? Tips?

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks