Re: Solution, anybody?

Subject: Re: Solution, anybody?
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 17:00:49 AKDT

* Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu> [030916 16:27]:

> Yeah, they specifically said they want to keep Word Smurfect, so
> Open/Star office and AbiWord are non-solutions. As for the other
> ones...Tim already suggested them off list but here are my concerns:
>
> <snipped from my other e-mail>
> Thanks, but I need more info. Wine doesn't have anything about either
> app, under their "Supported Applications" list or under their newsgroup.
> Their Silver list of apps is longer than their Gold list of apps, for
> that matter, and that kinda scares me. I'd need to know that both apps
> would work on the system before I could, in good conscience, recommend
> it.

  Don't really know much about Wine myself, either.
  But I use Win4Lin extensively.
  You might want to check this out

      http://www.linuxmafia.com/wpfaq/

  Could get you started on avoiding M$ altogether.

> As for Win4Lin...of course that'll work. Maybe I misunderstand it, but
> you have to get a copy of Linux, buy (for $90) a copy of Win4Lin, and
> then you still have to install a version of Windows over the top of
> everything. Now you're still doing homage to Microsoft, paying somebody
> else $90 at the same time, and getting a three-tier (four, if you count
> the app) troubleshooting stack to go through. Am I correct, or do I
> misunderstand how that works? If I am correct...be interesting to try

> to get a version of Knoppix to run Win4Lin and then Windows 98 and then
> a Windows app or two...have a fake OS running a fake OS *snicker*. =20
> </snip>

> So...anybody on the list use either Wine or Win4Lin with WordPerfect and
> Timeslips? =20

  I've not had any problems with any Windows applications in Win4Lin,
  once installed, it has been trouble-free. Since it uses the
  linux filesystem, I can write code for Windows on Linux and then
  deploy on the same machine without rebooting.

  tim

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com