RE: Solution, anybody?

Subject: RE: Solution, anybody?
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 17:07:33 AKDT

Stephan-

If your clients are really dedicated to the apps they use (and let us face it,
they are most productive with the tools they have a very good knowledge of) then
it does not seem to make sense to go the win4lin route, since, as you so aptly
note, you are still running windowz.

My personal experience with wine has been very disappointing, but that was a
while ago. Still, all you need is 1 crash/lockup every day or so b4 the
productivity cost eats up the perceived benefits of getting away from M$.

As much as I hate M$, there are several apps that ONLY work in that environment,
so I personally find the need to keep M$ around. Linux needs more killer apps
that are useful to a large group of people! Seems to me that if a company like
Portland Group can make $$ selling (excellent) high performance FORTRAN
compilers for Linux (gotta be a pretty small market), that someone could succeed
financially at making a _good_ office suite...

PQO

>Yeah, they specifically said they want to keep Word Smurfect, so
>Open/Star office and AbiWord are non-solutions. As for the other
>ones...Tim already suggested them off list but here are my concerns:
>
><snipped from my other e-mail>
>Thanks, but I need more info. Wine doesn't have anything about either
>app, under their "Supported Applications" list or under their newsgroup.
>Their Silver list of apps is longer than their Gold list of apps, for
>that matter, and that kinda scares me. I'd need to know that both apps
>would work on the system before I could, in good conscience, recommend
>it.
>
>As for Win4Lin...of course that'll work. Maybe I misunderstand it, but
>you have to get a copy of Linux, buy (for $90) a copy of Win4Lin, and
>then you still have to install a version of Windows over the top of
>everything. Now you're still doing homage to Microsoft, paying somebody
>else $90 at the same time, and getting a three-tier (four, if you count
>the app) troubleshooting stack to go through. Am I correct, or do I
>misunderstand how that works? If I am correct...be interesting to try
>to get a version of Knoppix to run Win4Lin and then Windows 98 and then
>a Windows app or two...have a fake OS running a fake OS *snicker*. =20
></snip>
>
>So...anybody on the list use either Wine or Win4Lin with WordPerfect and
>Timeslips? =20
>
>Stephen

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |