RE: Solution, anybody?

Subject: RE: Solution, anybody?
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 19:03:02 AKDT

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:12, Stephen King wrote:

> Yeah, they specifically said they want to keep Word Smurfect, so
> Open/Star office and AbiWord are non-solutions. As for the other
> ones...Tim already suggested them off list but here are my concerns:
>

> Stephen King writes:
> > Hey, folks...got a very small company that wants to get away from the=20
> > 'world according to Microsoft'. They've only got two computers in a=20
> > peer to peer situation. Both operators are able and willing to face a
>
> > Linux-sized learning curve. Unfortunately they're running Word=20
> > Perfect for document creation (being a legal firm, this is a very=20
> > important thing for them) and Timeslips for hourly tracking and=20
> > billing. They're really hot on not wanting to lose those two
> apps,
> > but neither of the apps seems to be supported on Linux platforms.
>

> Well, aside from the obvious Win4Lin and Wine solutions, you might look
> at Open/Star office, or AbiWord (as part of Gnome-Office 1.0)

WordPerfect doesn't really exist for a corporate clients anymore, you
can't buy it , except maybe ebay , which isn't a corporate solution.
Corel does not support any of its Linux apps anymore, actually Corel has
been bought by a venture capital company so who knows what will happen
to Corel apps.

All that said there is a WordPerfect version 8.1 that was created for
Corel Linux , a Debian based distro. If you can find this Distro you
will find the following packages,

 wp-full_8.1-12_i386.deb, wp-manual_8.1-3_i386.deb,fonts-16_1.0-5.deb,
 fonts-115_1.0-4.deb, fonts-69_1.0-4.deb.

I run these packages on a Debian Woody system for compatibility with the
WP world. This is the best version of WordPerfect for Linux produced.
There may be some WP6 or 7 server versions for Unix in the wild, no
support of course.

 I have switched to OO.org for my business. OO.org isn't s functional as
WP and it has a completely different user experience.

I also run Vmware with NT4 and WP8 & WP10 just because I already had the
software before switching to Linux. Vmware is needed to run NT versions
of Windows, but is expensive. This combo works the best, imo.

I have all the Corel Linux WP8 stuff, if you wanted to try contacting
Corel and asking if it was alright to use these packages, they were part
of Deluxe version of Corel Linux, i.e. licensed software, I could post
them to a server.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.