Re: OT GCI E-Mail

Subject: Re: OT GCI E-Mail
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 09:48:57 AKDT

On Wednesday April 30 2003 12:03 am, gaijin@gci.net wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Greg Jetter wrote:
> > On Tuesday April 29 2003 11:17 am, Adam Elkins wrote:
> > > Is anyone eles getting slammed with Viagira spam? I get about 10 a =
day
> > > =3D
> >
> > now,
> >
> > > time to filter...
> > >
> > > Adam
> > >
> > > ---------
> > > with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
> >
> > yes me as well it seem that GCI has been selling e-mail addresses
> > to=3D20 spammers , or so=3D20
> > I've heard , when I've recieved then it has been as one of many =3D=
20
> > recipenants in the to: header all ending with @gci.net. I don't kn=
ow
> > w=3D hat=3D20
> > to do besides setting up a filter. Since GCI spends the majority of
> > thei=3D r=3D20
> > time rebooting , or fixing problems (my e-mail account has been dow=
> > fo=3D r=3D20
> > days at a time) I suppose the next thing is to report them to spam c=
op.

> > Greg
>
> I didn't see an emoticon, so I am forced to conclude you are not kiddin=
g.

> Calculate the unit price on an email address @ $30/million, and multipl=
> that by the estimated number of customers [1], and voila, GCI's estimat=
> price point: About $2.50 per copy of the list sold.
>
> Contrast that with the costs of employee time, servers, support contrac=
ts
> with software providers, circuits, and the costs of transit to their
> upstreams, and explain to me how GCI will make money on that deal.
>
> Or, we can look at the simple explanation: a spammer buys a list, or
> performs an address harvesting attack to obtain his list, and then
> proceeds to send out his bulk mail. Chances are his software will be
> written to maximize the number of recipients, and minimize the transmit
> time. So, instead of sending out 1 unique message per recipient
> increasing the amount of data sent (1 set of headers for 1 recipient, o=
r 1
> set of headers for many recipients), the software will probably send to=
 as
> many recipients as the server will accept per message, and allows the
> receiving server to perform the work of generating the copies for the
> recipients.
>
> Your logic seems to fail under scrutiny, Mr. Jetter.

well I don't clame to be Mr Spock , and I did say in my post that "I had=
=20
heard a rummor that" GCI was selling e-mails ,=20

> With regards to your "solution" - have you checked the header of the
> sent message (s)? Did the originating IP's come from GCI networks?=20
looks like it to me...

 Did
> you contact their security team and say "Hey, this spam came from your
> network!"?
>
> My guess is no.

no I didn't bother to contact them , I figured that if a no body like m=
yself =20
could kind of figure the spam was comming from an account on their ser=
vice=20
, it would be a known value to any Syst Admin doing his job correctly.=
=20
Nothing was stoping me from contacting them but I don't have the time t=
o=20
fight with them to correct the matter , I can always filter the stuff ou=
t on=20
my local box befor I read it. I was however responding to a post aski=
ng=20
if I was receiving spam about viagera , hell I not only get that one =
but=20
, that guy in nigera been after me to help him get his money out of thos=
e =20
swiss bank accounts for about a year now , I wonder if he ever got it...

Greg