Re: OT GCI E-Mail

Subject: Re: OT GCI E-Mail
From: Andy (lug@firman.us)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 23:19:04 AKDT

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 11:17 am, Adam Elkins wrote:
> Is anyone eles getting slammed with Viagira spam? I get about 10 a day now,
> time to filter...

It is getting way, way out of control and has forced me to setup Fetchmail and
Spamassassin to filter my GCI email accounts and personal domain accounts.
My mail goes from Fetchmail into Exim then gets scanned then drops into
/var/mail/andy and then is read by either Mutt (when on the road) or Kmail
(when at the office). I am having problems using those 2 MUA's together but
that is for another post. Even though all of the GCI email gets routed
through the big Postini spam mail filter servers, (http://www.postini.com) a
hell of alot of spam gets through. GCI is now selling eMailGuard for $1 per
month. But since we all use Linux, we have the ability to do our own
filtering right?

I highly recommend Spamassassin. Works great for me and I am about to run
bogofilter along side of Spamassasin. The two of them in tandem should
tag 99% of my spam. Spamassassin is not perfect.

As for the paranoid types out there, I really doubt GCI is in collusion with
spammers. (Leif, care to comment on that one:-)
I get spams all day from support@gci.net to support@gci.net.
It is a VERY common spam tactic to forge the headers. That is obviously the
case here.

Believe me. I have one GCI account that gets about 30 spams a day.
I can't filter this account as I use their IMAP service so the mail resides
on their servers until I delete it. Yes I know that I can setup my own IMAP
and I have in the past, but with the volume of email I get on some accounts,
and the fact that my cable modem is so slow on the upstream, it is not worth
it. Too slow. So I use GCI's service. Very fast but lots of spam
unfortunately. Can't win them all.

I should probably just have everything come into my main Linux box and use
Mutt or Pine all the time either locally or remotely. It seems that most
experienced admins use this setup.

Sorry for the ramble.....

Andy

--