Re: Xandros Linux

Subject: Re: Xandros Linux
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 09:46:50 AKDT

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 08:18, Tim Jordan, Network Services wrote:
> Does anyone have expeirnce with this distro? I'm curious about how easily
> it works with existing Windows networks. From the article below it sounds
> like Samba + Windbind and their own GUI to help make it easy.
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT4559768996.html
>
> Tim

Caveat, I haven't used it. I do talk with folks who use it. I used Corel
Linux which is the code base for Xandros, Xandros is ver 3.0 of what
would have been the next release of Corel Linux. The article is
essentially correct in the usability in a Windows environment. Xandros
has created some of their own tools, KFM, file manager & networking
module for Kcontrol. it uses KDE exclusively. While it sounds like a
great tool the downside may be the enhancements that differentiate this
from other distros are non-gpl. If you want a newer version of KDE you
will have to wait for Xandros to provide it, upgrading KDE from Debian
will break the system. This may be a non-issue for the target audience,
which is corporate desktops in a heterogeneous environment, not the
folks who like to out the latest stuff.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.