Re: OT GCI E-Mail

Subject: Re: OT GCI E-Mail
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 09:41:24 AKDT

On Tuesday April 29 2003 11:51 pm, Mike Tibor wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Greg Jetter wrote:
> > yes me as well it seem that GCI has been selling e-mail addresses
> > to=3D20 spammers , or so=3D20 I've heard , when I've recieved then it=
 has
> > been as one of many =3D20 recipenants in the to: header all ending w=
ith
> > @gci.net. I don't know w=3D hat=3D20 to do besides setting up a filt=
er.
> > Since GCI spends the majority of thei=3D r=3D20 time rebooting , or f=
ixing
> > problems (my e-mail account has been down fo=3D r=3D20 days at a time=
) I
> > suppose the next thing is to report them to spam cop.
>
> Greg, you need to look somewhat beyond the To: header in order to ident=
ify
> the origin of spam. To be honest, the To: header hasn't the slightest
> thing to do with the origin of any email, and why should it? It relate=
> to the destination, not the origin. Even the From: header is completel=
> untrustworthy when trying to determine the origin of email, because it =
is
> trivially forged.

yes true , I should but being the lazy programmer type , I just look at=
 the =20
first couple of entries. The fact that the spam is comming from my GCI=20
account kind of bothers me. Seeing that it's down most of the time , =
when=20
it does come back up it's filled with spam . Having to buy additional an=
ti=20
spam support is also a hot spot , seem if it's comming from an account =
from=20
an ISP , why an I required to pay additional to stop it from comming?