RE: Clustering (Was: Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army)

Subject: RE: Clustering (Was: Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army)
From: Jan Zumwalt (jwzumwalt@neatinfo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 20:58:45 AKDT

Clustering advantages are not realized unless the actual task is conducive
to parallel processing. I once had the bench mark time for a single floating
point addition problem on a Cray, it was horrible! But the execution time
for a matrix divide was trivial... Obviously, matrix mathematics lends
itself well to parallel processing. Many graphics and mathematical formula
intensive programs can benefit from clustering - particle (fluid) dynamics
being a dramatic case. Certainly, data search would be a good use.

The type of computing done by the average office computer will not benefit
from clusters. For example, a word processor is basically a serial process
and has a relatively small number of tasks that can be parallel. As a matter
of fact, the administration of a cluster will probably make the word
processor run slower on a 2ghz machines then a single 400mhz. To get real
optimization for clustering, a custom program is always written and things
such as the number of machines available will establish how portions of code
are written.

JZ