Clustering (Was: Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army)

Subject: Clustering (Was: Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army)
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 19:59:18 AKDT

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, J. M. Mason wrote:

> Clustering not so good - network overhead means that lots of old machines
> clustered still won't keep up with one modern system....

I always thought that was highly dependant upon the work being performed
(some requires frequent network traffic; some not). I've read about
highly successful clusters that utilize idle Linux workstations connected
via 10 Mbit ethernet.

Not that I have any experience with parallel processing clusters, but just
from what I've read...

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax