Re: ipcop and serial ports

Subject: Re: ipcop and serial ports
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 21:43:07 AKDT

Thanks Mike,

But the card has no bios that I can find nor jumpers.

The bios appears to assign port and irq resources based on which slot
the card is in. Then linux detects the ports and irq, recognizes the
these are 2 - serial ports and a parallel port, and assigns them to what
it considers to be appropriate tty and lpt device assignments.

Maybe if someone could explain to me how ttyS04 during the boot becomes
/dev/ttyS4 on the running system it would give me some clues on where to
look.

Something in Linux itself seems to be detecting and setting up the card
as it wasn't being setup under the 2.2 kernel. Something associated with
the 2.4 kernel seems to be taking care of it for me and isn't doing what
I want.

Jim Gribbin