Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army

Subject: Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army
From: Jacob Gemmell (evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 15:36:14 AKDT

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Damien Hull wrote:
> I just started working for the Salvation Army. Part of my job is to fix
> computers that have been donated. Because these are low end systems we
> are the only group in town that can find a use for them. My plan was to
> turn them into Linux boxes of some kind.
>
> Here are some of the criteria I'm looking at
>
> 1. Minimum speed - I'm thinking P200
> 2. Distribution of Linux - maybe Debian but I'm also looking at mulinux
> 3. What will they be - Workstation, Firewall, etc...
> 4. Price
>
> If any of you have any ideas let me know. I haven't had a chance to play
> with any computers yet so I don't know what I'll be working with.As soon
> as I find out I'll let every one know.
>
> --
> Damien Hull
> Network Administrator
> www.digitaloverload.net

Don't discount those other unix tupe OSe, like any of the BSDs. For low
end workstations you may even want to ditch X and use a menu based shell
like flash or pshell.

http://psydev.sourceforge.net/
http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/flash/

--
evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.