Re: Afio

Subject: Re: Afio
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 15:42:30 AKST

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Jim Dory wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the info. Seems like differential may be the way to go. Right
> now there aren't that many users so backups shouldn't be too big. I
> haven't written up a backup policy yet so that is on the list of
> to-do's. I can search google for that. So I may go monthly fulls instead
> of weekly. I'll have to think about it.

Monthly fulls with nightly differentials would be a good way to go.

> With putty I have been shh'ing into each server so somewhat familiar
> with that. Not sure how you handle the password though on any kind of
> automatic script, if possible. Again, I can do some more research but
> hints are welcome. It should be automatic since I'm the only guy here to
> do it... in case I ever take that vacation.

You can create keys without a password, but that might not be appropriate
depending on the environment.

> As per James suggestion, I may give flexbackup a try too. See what I'm
> most comfortable with.

Take a look at AMANDA too. ( http://www.amanda.org ) I use it here at the
Library and also at home, and I absolutely love it. I don't know if it
can be made to work with afio though. I use it with dump/restore.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax