Re: Club needing new server

Subject: Re: Club needing new server
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 15:49:14 AKST

On 24 Nov 2002, Damien Hull wrote:

> Would you happen to have load averages and or other system performance
> measurements that we could all look at? Maybe a snapshot of "top".

Well, looking at it just now there doesn't appear to be much going on, so
that wouldn't be too exciting.

> I've never seen a *nix box under heavy load before and would like to
> know what that looks like. I'd also like to know how much a P120 can
> handle.
>
> All the *nix boxes I've seen were running at about 1% load average or
> something like 80% cpu free. My web/email server is at less then 1% load
> average. It only has 3 email accounts though so not much happens on the
> box.

That's actually a pretty accurate description of the AKLUG box to be
honest. With the biggest limitation being bandwidth, the load average
tends to remain pretty low.

The server this list is hosted on is a little busier:

asimov:~$ ps ax|wc -l
    259
asimov:~$ uptime
  3:43pm up 115 days, 5:10, 6 users, load average: 1.04, 1.05, 1.00

(it's running dnetc, so the load average may be misleading)

Mike