Re: Afio

Subject: Re: Afio
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 14:37:19 AKST

Mike Tibor wrote:

>To do incrementals you'd just touch a file somewhere when you run your
>full, and then only feed those filenames which are newer than that file to
>afio. For example,
>
> cd home
> find . | afio -o /dev/tape
> touch /etc/afio-tmp-file
>
>and then the next night,
>
> cd home
> find . -cnewer /etc/afio-tmp-file | afio -o /dev/tape
> touch /etc/afio-tmp-file
>

>You may want to consider doing differential backups instead of
>incrementals. Incrementals grab only those files which have changed since
>the last incremental or full, where differentials only get the files since
>tha last full. The advantage of differentials is that you only need two
>backup tapes in order to fully restore; the most recent full and the most
>recent diff tape. With incrementals, you'd need the most recent full plus
>every incremental you'd done since then. Assuming a weekly full and daily
>incrementals, that could potentially be 6 tapes. If you do full backups
>monthly, you've got a ton of incremental tapes to deal with.
>

>>I've got two servers and it is hooked to the scsi port of one. The
>>machines (Cobalts) came with 3 partitions: root, /var and /home. Mostly
>>I would backup home but logs too, I suppose. Guess I could search some
>>more on backup policies. I'll have to figure out how to get the other
>>server backed up on it as well.
>>

>I used to backup multiple Linux boxes to the tape in the backup computer
>via ssh like this:
>
>(from backup computer console)
>ssh targetcomputer "find /home|afio -o -" > /dev/tape
>
>This requires that afio be installed on all computers that need to be
>backed up, but that's no big deal.
>

>Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Seems like differential may be the way to go. Right
now there aren't that many users so backups shouldn't be too big. I
haven't written up a backup policy yet so that is on the list of
to-do's. I can search google for that. So I may go monthly fulls instead
of weekly. I'll have to think about it.

With putty I have been shh'ing into each server so somewhat familiar
with that. Not sure how you handle the password though on any kind of
automatic script, if possible. Again, I can do some more research but
hints are welcome. It should be automatic since I'm the only guy here to
do it... in case I ever take that vacation.

As per James suggestion, I may give flexbackup a try too. See what I'm
most comfortable with.

Cheers, Jim