Re: [aklug-ops] Looking for ISP that supports Linux

Subject: Re: [aklug-ops] Looking for ISP that supports Linux
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 07:33:53 AKDT

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 00:56, James Gibson wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 mbarsalou@aidea.org wrote:
> > Although MTA says they don't support Linux, I believe there are a few
> > people on the mailling list that are using them with Linux. I am
> > assuming since you are sending this e-mail you have some way of getting
> > access to the internet. If so, please sign up on the aklug maillist by
> > going to www.aklug.org and follow the links for the mailling list.
> >
> > If you are still having problems. Mail me directly and I will get you started.
> >
> > Mike Barsalou
>
> a Smoothwall or ipcop box will handle it no problem.. I've also
> successfully setup a floppyfw box to talk to MTA..
>
> I'm interested to hear though: How is distro support for pppoe nowadays?
> I'll find out myself here in a week or so when I give my neighbor a hand
> configuring her box to work with pacbell's DSL, but I'm just curious.. is
> it on par with setting up a straight ppp session yet on most distros?
>
> --James (in CA)

I switched to ACS DSL awhile ago. I have a Ipcop/PPPOE firewall which
works fine, thanks to the AKLUG support group :) Most vendors say they
don't support Linux which only means 'please don't ask any questions.'
They will take your $$ and the services will 'work' with Linux, support
comes from the Linux community.

James, the PPPOE stuff works well in Debian Woody. The packages are
available & there are config tools available if you do not want to use a
separate firewall.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.