Re: reviving old computers

Subject: Re: reviving old computers
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 09:16:54 AKDT

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 12:53, Mike Barsalou wrote:

> I have done some of this myself...with mixed results.
> Why don't we try and come up with a good "standard" for the type of machine
> that would be acceptable to someone who doesn't have one?
>
> At that point we can address the issues of maintenance and upkeep.
>
> Mike
Most folks watch TV so they have been told it needs to be a Pentium IV
to fully enjoy the internet, even on a 56K modem. I think Mike raised a
good point, even folks who don't have internet/email want to start out
with a box that is compatable with is the cultural norm of the time. If
you can keep people away from the TV ads for Intel the following would
work for email & such.

Okay minimum specs:

Hardware
1.>=Pentium 200,
2. 56K modems are maybe the hardest item to get donated as they are
still usable by most folks on dial-up.
3.Memory: >=64mb, more is better depending on what is installed.
4. 17" monitors

Software,
1. GUI, preferable a point & click interface.
2. Konqueror is a nice light browser

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.