Re: non-x86 Slack

Subject: Re: non-x86 Slack
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:16:24 AKDT

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> > Not that I have them online right now (or even with me), but
> > X86, Alpha, Sparc, StrongARM, and SGI MIPS (Indigo2 R4400SC2M
> > 250Mhz(yes I know, no graphics under linux, but is the spare)).
>
> Now that's down right heresy. ;-) Are you actually doing anything useful
> with that I2, or just playing around?

        Mainly working with Linux on the platform. Graphics works on
the Indy, but I have religious issues with the design of the Indy.
Indigo, Crimson, Indigo2, O200, O2000, and maybe the O2 R10Ka are ok.

The Indigo2 platform was used for the Challenge M (I think it was the
M), remove the graphics card, add a 10/100 + UltraWide gio64 card and
change the plastic to be teal. Anyway, used it as a SMTP/FTP/HTTP rig
for a while, but like I said mainly to try out Linux/MIPS.

> Yikes. How responsive is that Sparc 20? What speed are the processors (are
> you running the Ross HyperSparcs)? I've been tempted to put Linux on my
> Ultra-1, but I'd probably have to take it off the FDDI network, then.
> Linux's support for FDDI is somewhat anemic (in terms of cards supported),
> and I don't know what XF86's support is for Creator2D/3D cards is, either.
> Then there's the problem of support for my SBUS Fibre Channel HBA. . .

It is dual SuperSparcII @ 75Mhz (SM81 IIRC), 320MB, 9G ultrawide drive
and the internal cdrom. Oh yes, a UltraWide + 10/100 SBUS card. It
is no cpu monster, but it makes a fine server. It handles multiple
domains (SMTP/POP/FTP/HTTP/HTTPS), bunch of database stuff, and daily
use by multiple people. It is Aarons machine (remember Aaron,
Greatland Internet?).

Yikes, gotta go, have several hundred miles to go on the bike and am
not late leaving. :)

 --
I route, therefore you are.