Re: non-x86 Slack

Subject: Re: non-x86 Slack
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 19:48:42 AKDT

> Not that I have them online right now (or even with me), but
> X86, Alpha, Sparc, StrongARM, and SGI MIPS (Indigo2 R4400SC2M
> 250Mhz(yes I know, no graphics under linux, but is the spare)).

Now that's down right heresy. ;-) Are you actually doing anything useful
with that I2, or just playing around?

> As for distribs answer is custom for StrongARM and MIPS, custom or
> debian for Alpha custom or slackware or debian for sparc, and slack
> or a custom setup for x86.
>
> I don't know the status of Slackware Alpha, the last time I looked it
> was still there, though not getting alot of work. As to Slackware
> SPARC it didn't really see any devel past the 7.x level, and was
> dropped late last year from the main site. A group has taken over
> development, and are calling it Splackware (SPARC Slackware or
> sumsuch). The general idea is to stay fairly current with slackware
> x86. The box I am writing this mail on (as opposed to the one I am
> typing on) is a dual CPU SS20 running Slackware SPARC 7.x with
> updated from the current Splack tree.

Yikes. How responsive is that Sparc 20? What speed are the processors (are
you running the Ross HyperSparcs)? I've been tempted to put Linux on my
Ultra-1, but I'd probably have to take it off the FDDI network, then.
Linux's support for FDDI is somewhat anemic (in terms of cards supported),
and I don't know what XF86's support is for Creator2D/3D cards is, either.
Then there's the problem of support for my SBUS Fibre Channel HBA. . .

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto