New User Woes

Subject: New User Woes
From: Kirk McFadden (captkirk1767@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:06:00 AKDT

Bizarre deal. I was being root all the time and after
going out on xpilot found that my name was "root" so I
figured I'd better create a new user account so I
wouldn't be global all the time and so I could start
logging in as a lowly user instead of root.

I found the user manager in KDE and created a new user
and password, then backed out to the command prompt
and logged in as the new user, but on startx I can
only start to Gnome (I want KDE because I already have
it configed the way I want) and the desktop switcher
is unavailable. So I backed out again to login as root
and whaddaya know? I can't login as root. It won't
take my password. The only way I can get back to it is
shutdown and boot back to the login prompt; then the
system will honor my orginal password (as root). I
still can't get to KDE with the lowly user password.

What am I missing here? I'm running 7.2 RedHat on a
Toshiba laptop kernel is 2.4.7-10........digging
through the man and info pages hasn't turned up
much....thanx in advance....captkrk