Re: non-x86 Slack

Subject: Re: non-x86 Slack
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 21:58:58 AKDT

> Mainly working with Linux on the platform. Graphics works on
> the Indy, but I have religious issues with the design of the Indy.
> Indigo, Crimson, Indigo2, O200, O2000, and maybe the O2 R10Ka are ok.

I wish I could get a challenge mezzanine in a regular Indy, without losing
the graphics/video. That, and I can't seem to find a DAS-FDDI for it,
either. :-P

> The Indigo2 platform was used for the Challenge M (I think it was the
> M), remove the graphics card, add a 10/100 + UltraWide gio64 card and
> change the plastic to be teal. Anyway, used it as a SMTP/FTP/HTTP
> rig for a while, but like I said mainly to try out Linux/MIPS.

Yep, I2's where Ms, and Indys were S's. Do you have any more of those GIO
SCSI cards? I'd have to free up a slot first, though. Some guys on usenet
had some medical rig that was an I2 with seven GIO slots (six taken up by
dual MI video). I'd love to get one of those, though I can imagine I'd
actually have to air condition my office in winter. ;-)

How's Linux holding up on that hardware, anyway? Is the port pretty solid?

> It is dual SuperSparcII @ 75Mhz (SM81 IIRC), 320MB, 9G ultrawide
> drive and the internal cdrom. Oh yes, a UltraWide + 10/100 SBUS
> card. It is no cpu monster, but it makes a fine server. It handles
> multiple domains (SMTP/POP/FTP/HTTP/HTTPS), bunch of database stuff,
> and daily use by multiple people. It is Aarons machine (remember
> Aaron, Greatland Internet?).

Gotcha. That's a good deal faster than most I've had to deal with. The last
one was a single 40MHz, which drove me nuts.

I haven't heard from Aaron in aeons, is he still on this list?

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto