RE: non-x86 Slack

Subject: RE: non-x86 Slack
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 08:34:36 AKDT

Arthur writes:

> I'm still running the proprietary OS'es on my non-x86 boxes.
> I know there's a few people running Linux on Sparc and Alphas,
> what distros are you guys using? Anyone running Linux on
> anything else?

Well, I'm running a total of 3 distros. On my main boxen, I run
Mandrake (currently 8.2) just because it seems to work well. The
new installer makes it useful for minimum install situations as well.
But so far I've found it to be the best installer out of the ones
that I've tried, across the wide variety of boxes I support.

For my firewall, I run a home-built conflaguration based off of the
original green-frog distribution, which was a 50mb minimalist. Works
well, although I'll probably convert it one of these days, just so I don't
have to wait for hours to recompile.. (it's only 130mhz... zzzz)

my laptops are mandrake as well -- I tried redhat on them, but had so many
problems with the redhat installer that I gave up, wiped, and went back
to mdk.

On my Sparc, I run SuSE. It's the only decent distro out there -- and
although
I don't like some of the differences (could they have strayed even *further*
from the sysV 'norms' ? ) it's a solid distro and has little problems. My
sparc
has yet to hiccup under load or attack, and I've done all kinds of krazy
things
to try and bring it down..