Re: Network design

Subject: Re: Network design
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 07:29:35 AKST

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 21:50, Justin Dieters wrote:

> Speaking of this Friday, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as
> to help me redesign my home network at the CA friday. Give me some tips
> and suggestions.
>
> Currently I have my laptop (main computer), my server
> (enderakonline.com) and my girlfriend's Windows machine all just
> directly connected to a hub and then a cable modem.
>
> I want to add a firewall, gateway, etc to put between the cable modem
> and the internal network - was hoping for someone to help me figure out
> what I needed to do (mostly software/config stuff). Also what would I
> need to do or change to keep my server up and running while still being
> behind the firewall.. Stuff like that - mainly a crash course in the basics.
>
> I am pretty sure I can pick up and old pentium 120 or 150 from work,
> which should be enough, I think? And I have a couple isa network cards
> around, which i believe work in linux. I might be able to get the
> machine by this friday, although I don't know what can be done without
> it actually being plugged into my network...
>
> Anyway, if anyone feels up to it, let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

I have some 'Smoothwall' (firewall/NAT/DHCP) boxes you can checkout. I
will bring one Friday night. I use one on my cable modem, hooked up to a
switch which provides DHCP addess's and security for my home & office,
wired for cat5 this winter :) Jim Gribbin uses 'E-smith' which is more
of a traditional server setup, available also Friday night. These are
two 'ready to use products' I am not up to speed on starting from
scratch though.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.