AKLUG, APULUG and the organization (sorta long)

Subject: AKLUG, APULUG and the organization (sorta long)
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 06:17:30 AKST

First let me say that AKLUG hasn't died. Far from it. In fact, new people
are subscribing to the list quite frequently.

APULUG Friday nights as far as I know are officially dead. This does not
mean that people will not meet on Friday nights to help new and old Linux
users alike.
As far as I remember (and someone please straighten me out if I get this
wrong) the APULUG was formed because of high interest in Linux from a few
people that were going to school at APU. That interest is no longer there
or we are not currently aware of any APU people who are interested in
keeping the APULUG going.
That leads us to Friday night meetings.

Based on the information that I have read on the list lately, there will be
"Friday" meetings at the Career Academy in midtown. I'm not exactly sure if
they will be every Friday, but the idea will be the same. Quoting
mweisman@gci.net:

Just for the record, I have asked the director of our school, and checked
all the requirements, and although a meeting would have to be less than 50
or so people, the Career Academy would be honored to host the meetings on
Friday night. We're located right off the New Seward Highway on Tudor, so
Access would be easy. I run a 100Base Cat5 inside and connect our using a
768K DSL. Have vending machines, and tables. Please let me know if this
would be acceptable, or maybe just serve in the meanwhile.

On the third Wednesday of every month (that's March 20th this month) there
is an AKLUG meeting. This is where we make presentations to whomever would
like to show up. This month's presentation is on Samba. Josh Burroughs did
one last month on MySQL.
The MySQL presentation birthed a MySQL Project that is run by Kurt Steiner
and host by David Loutrel. Check it out at http://aklug.acme-ent.net/.
As far as the organization goes, Dee has suggested we organize and I think
it is prudent to look at what it would take to do that.

Additionally, I have asked on this list for people who are interested in
being on the board of such an organization and only got two responses. It
wasn't clear to me that the two people that did respond were interested in
making a long term commitment.

Let's not forget the many people who invest there time and expertise
whenever they are able. They have been, are, and will be the heart and soul
of AKLUG. Without them, AKLUG would go away. My thanks to them.

Here is a list of some of those people:

Arthur Corliss - Webmaster
Mike Tibor - List maintainer, server maintainer
Greg Madden - Friday night meeting coordinator (There may be others)
Mark Weisman - Friday night meeting host
Adam Elkins - is designing our "Newby" web page.
David Loutrel - MySQL Project host
Kurt Steiner - MySQL Project lead

Although I have yet to learn each of their names, there are also a bunch of
"core" AKLUGers that show up at the Wednesday monthly meeting.

I hope this clears up any questions regarding the organization. Please let
me know if there is any information in error as well as more questions you
might have.

Mike Barsalou