Re: red hat

Subject: Re: red hat
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 11:01:13 AKST

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 09:35 am, Greg Jetter wrote:
> On Monday 31 December 2001 10:29 pm, FeLoNiouS_MoNK wrote:
> > ok .. maybe its this fourty im drinkin talkin but.. ive decided to warn
> > everyone on this lug to NOT upgrade to R.H. 7.2 .. i have had nothing
> > but problems ever since ive upgraded.. i was warned but didnt listen ...
> > once again im thinkin its he 4 0 talkin but im thinkin about changin
> > over to fBSD ... can anyone give me a reason not to? just outta
> > curiosity .. let me know.. may be its just red hate that gave me a nasty
> > taste in my mouth about linux... ive use all the BSD from open to net
> > .... but only have used one ver of linux... so .. am i just sterotypin
> > linux from one bad flavor?..
> >
> > ---------------My Other Computer is YOUR win Box----------------------
> > FeLoNiouS_DRuNK aka CodeRED
>
> Yes I've had problems upgrading RedHat systems , seems they(redhat)
> likes to change things like the file tree , configuration files that
> sort of things with out telling any one or giving the user the option to
> keep what they have. This has broken things every time I upgraded .
>
> Now if your a BSD fan but want linux why not try Slackware ? since the
> beginning Slack has been a true linux distrbution. Most folks shy away
> from it because it dose not try to be windows like . And you got to read
> more howtows and man pages to get things tweeked. At least in the past
> distbutions.
>
> Good luck and pop open another 40 befor you start working , it always
> helps me to understand the doc's....
>

> Greg

Well, upgrading with so many packages and links is not a good choice. Even
98 to ME has its hazards. What I _always_ do is keep separate /home and
/usr/local and /var partitions and install the latest and greatest on /, and
/usr. This works much better than an upgrade, though the new utility out in
our latest milestone may make a successful upgrade easier (compresses and
saves config info and restores it and it has many apps besides upgrades,
especially for newbie users who like to tinker) but then I work for Mandrake.
 We have about one-tenth the employees of RH, and we have no developer time
to make the upgrade better, except what this new tool will do for us. which
is essentially a vandal upgrade, saving configuration then installing and
restoring configuration.

Upgrade is likely to leave artifacts like links to old compilers and such,
and with 3000+ packages in our base distro, we cannot check them all.

Civileme

The Moral is, don't use upgrade unless it is a simple and slow-developing
system that has time and effort available to make a good one.