RE: red hat

Subject: RE: red hat
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 09:33:45 AKST

> From: FeLoNiouS_MoNK [mailto:codered@gci.net]
>
> ok .. maybe its this fourty im drinkin talkin but.. ive
> decided to warn everyone on this lug to NOT upgrade to
> R.H. 7.2 .. i have had nothing but problems ever since ive
> upgraded.. i was warned but didnt listen ...
> once again im thinkin its he 4 0 talkin but im thinkin about changin
> over to fBSD ... can anyone give me a reason not to? just outta
> curiosity .. let me know.. may be its just red hate that gave
> me a nasty taste in my mouth about linux... ive use all the BSD
> from open to net .... but only have used one ver of linux... so ..
> am i just sterotypin linux from one bad flavor?..

Well, i'm not a user of fBSD -- long ago on a fredbox far away I had
an account, but that's been ages.

As far as linux distros, I started on homebrewing (back in the 0.12 kernel
days)
then tried the beta yggdrasil distro (0.95a kernel), and from there moved
to slackware. I stayed with slack/homebrewing until TurboLinux, then moved
to Mandrake 7.

I've been at Mandrake ever since then (currently 8.1?) on all of my ix86
boxen.

On my Sparc, I use Suse. I'm actually upgrading (right now!) from 7.0 to
the 7.3
distro. It's been fairly solid, and though it takes a sec to remember the
suse-isms over the mandrake-isms, it's been a pretty compatible combo.

Neither of them has any major issues, and while the suse distro is nice, i
think
i prefer Mandrake -- although I ALWAYS use expert and manually tune the
package
selections. It's just a little too newbie-oriented for me to run
automagically.
I do appreciate the fact that Mandrake is tuned for my pentiums, as opposed
for i386
(which most other intel distros are set for)