Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 09:40:59 AKST

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Justin Dieters wrote:
> Heya all. Hopefully someone out there can get my pointed in the right
> direction here. I have a webserver set up and running with a cable
> modem from GCI and a static ip linked to the server. I have
> www.enderakonline.com registered and the dns set up and all that happy
> stuff. I was wanting to set up an e-mail server such that I would be
> able to set up my own e-mail accounts like enderak@enderakonline.com,
> admin@enderakonline.com, and whatnot.
>
> My question is: what do I need to do to set this up? Both on the
> software side - what do I need to be running, and I think there might be
> something I need to set up with my isp to get email directed through to
> my server.

Actually, if you've already done all the "set up the domain and IP" stuff,
they normally set up the e-mail and MX records. If not, you just call GCI
(or e-mail support@gci.net) and they do it as part of the setup.

However, when using Sam Spade to query 'enderakonline.com' it looks like
the mail stuff is already set to go to mail.enderakonline.com - just load
up sendmail or whatever and it should work...

Feel free to ask if you'd like a hand - I set mine up the same way, using
the Sendmail package in Debian...