Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 11:20:18 AKST

On Tuesday 25 December 2001 09:40 am, Tom wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Justin Dieters wrote:
> > Heya all. Hopefully someone out there can get my pointed in the right
> > direction here. I have a webserver set up and running with a cable
> > modem from GCI and a static ip linked to the server. I have
> > www.enderakonline.com registered and the dns set up and all that happy
> > stuff. I was wanting to set up an e-mail server such that I would be
> > able to set up my own e-mail accounts like enderak@enderakonline.com,
> > admin@enderakonline.com, and whatnot.
> >
> > My question is: what do I need to do to set this up? Both on the
> > software side - what do I need to be running, and I think there might be
> > something I need to set up with my isp to get email directed through to
> > my server.
>
> Actually, if you've already done all the "set up the domain and IP" stuff,
> they normally set up the e-mail and MX records. If not, you just call GCI
> (or e-mail support@gci.net) and they do it as part of the setup.
>
> However, when using Sam Spade to query 'enderakonline.com' it looks like
> the mail stuff is already set to go to mail.enderakonline.com - just load
> up sendmail or whatever and it should work...
>
> Feel free to ask if you'd like a hand - I set mine up the same way, using
> the Sendmail package in Debian...

I'll second what tom said , if you got a MX record pointing to your box then
just start up sendmail and tell it to recive mail for your domain.
there are a few thing you can set like mail forwarding and anti spam stuff
make sure you turn off mail forwarding , I no sooner had my mail server up
then some clown spammer tried to use it to relay mail for his IP , luckly I
had relaying turned off and I had full logging so I could catch the slime...

some usefull information can be found on both redhats home page look for
the red hat sendmail howto , it's a general sendmail howto and covers
setting up the sendmail.conf files to handel various situations.

Another great resours is sendmail .org there doc's "Virtual Hosting with
Sendmail will take you through setting up vitual mail for other users if
that wher your heading.

not hard to set up a little reading is required befor you go live to keep
the spammers from using your box.

Greg