[aklug] Re: I'm an Android

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 31 2010 - 10:59:01 AKDT

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:59:25PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
>
>> Hey -- just picked up my first cell phone from ACS: The Hero with
>> Android. Looks pretty cool so far. Went with the Android Life plan ($99
>> for the phone, $99/month.)

Does anyone know if it's possible to activate a Hero without a data
plan? I know ACS won't sell you one without a data plan, but what
about just switching ESNs on an existing phone? Are there any
technical reasons why you can't just turn mobile data off on the
phone, and only use voice (like a feature phone)? I ask because I am
usually around wifi, and am unlikely to use data heavily.

I see online there's a fairly active OSS community modifying Android
builds. Anyone have experience flashing their Android phone in Alaska?

jermudgeon