[aklug] Re: I'm an Android

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat Jul 31 2010 - 13:06:18 AKDT

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:59:25PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
>>
>>> Hey -- just picked up my first cell phone from ACS: The Hero with
>>> Android. Looks pretty cool so far. Went with the Android Life plan ($99
>>> for the phone, $99/month.)
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to activate a Hero without a data
> plan? I know ACS won't sell you one without a data plan, but what
> about just switching ESNs on an existing phone? Are there any
> technical reasons why you can't just turn mobile data off on the
> phone, and only use voice (like a feature phone)? I ask because I am
> usually around wifi, and am unlikely to use data heavily.
>
> I see online there's a fairly active OSS community modifying Android
> builds. Anyone have experience flashing their Android phone in Alaska?
>
> jermudgeon

Answering with the work hat off and on the other side of the room.

It is technically possible, the phone would need to be set correctly, with
a compatible load (roaming/freq tables/etc) that only setup the voice side
of things, and if possible disable 1xRTT as well (EVDO is a seperate
parallel service, 1xRTT is piggybacked on the voice system.

If the phone was loaded with the normal prl, it would include all of the
info for the data network as well and sit there constantly attempting to
auth to the DO network, and failing try to fire up a data session via
1xRTT.

This is way outside normal profile, most providers do not have "no-data"
for data devices profile sets handy.

This is setpping outside of my day job skills (I deal with the infra, not
the handsets and auth), but I suspect it would generate a constant stream
of auth fails and shorten battery life.