[aklug] Re: Google Evil? Was: Re: I'm an Android

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 12:09:15 AKDT

I think many of us remember the dark days of Microsoft and IBM before the
internet created open standards and alternatives. Google became very
powerful and took over the search engine market and internet ad market
almost overnight.
For those who say Google is evil because of China, I would have to say to go
to www.slashdot.org and do a search for Google? They pissed on the Chinese
and moved their servers to Hong Kong out of disgust. One of the problems of
becoming a public company is that the goal is "*is to raise its stock price.
Not make more money".* This was taught at day one in Finance. To do this you
need to move to China, skeletalize your company's assets, and do anything to
make it more liquid through accounting tricks and ratios. By law you have to
focus on shareholders and they want China. Google did what it had to do by
entering the Chinese market and if they didn't then Microsoft would. Don't
like it? Then stay private.

I am going off-topic here, but Google is making money and all of us would
love to make more of it. Google is just doing its job. The great thing is
its true customers are businesses that need to advertise. If you are a
consumer we get a lot of cool things for free! If we start a business then
Google can help us start bringing ad revenue and offer us SDKs so we can pay
Google to advertise.

I have no quarrels with Google. Having a monopoly is not evil or illegal.
Abusing it certainly is and so far Google is not. I can't say the same for
Microsoft, Apple, and IBM. Apple seemed nice until the Iphone came out but
then showed its true colors. I refuse to get an I-pad as a result.