[aklug] Proble with CGI connection, getting nowhere with tech support

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 13:40:03 AKDT

So, we have Linksys router connected to a GCI modem up at Kuparuk.
Behind this router (and in the router's DMZ) is a Moxa device server.
Sometimes, the connection works fine, and we can connect to port 23,
80, 8080, and ping the device. Other times, the connection completely
times out, but someone on GCI's network (up at Kuparuk, different
modem, but maybe same network?) *can* see the device, and connect to
all those ports.

GCI claims they filter no ports, and suggested power cycling the router.
But if someone in CGI can reach it, but not someone outside CGI, I
don't think the problem is with the router (we have no IP ACLs set).

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com