[aklug] Re: respin Ubuntu 8.10

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 14:08:49 AKST

This Remastersys is great! Lately Xubuntu 8.10 has been my poison-I started
out with alternate cd and added what I needed from there: GPS/Gis stuff
(wish Ubuntu would put together a meta package like what Debian has) Ubuntu
Studio meta packages, and finally the everyday codecs and misc stuff to do
the day to day tasks. After I ran the Remastersys it created a 2.3 gb live
DVD iso. Not one hiccup. I need to run this live disc on another box to
check something-it asked for the password on my LUKS encrypted sda1.
Suspicion is it was accessing trying to access the swap which is in the
encrypted volume (which is why I used the alternate cd-the Ubiquity
installer doesn't have an option to encrypt the volume to stick the / and
swap.) The plus side to this is I know cryptsetup/LUKS is part of the Live
DVD...no more workarounds! Again thanks for the tip, this was great if
nothing else to save bandwidth. B
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>wrote:

> Lot to like about Ubuntu, one thing don't like is the 245mb security
> upgrade as soon as you install from the release iso. So how about a
> respin with all updates ? I stumbled upon an app called "remastersys"
> that will allow you to create a new live install cd or just backup your
> existing install. Works on Debian based distros, solid in Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/
>
> 1. I installed Ubuntu 8.10,
> 2. updated all the packages (245mb!)
> 3. modify sources.list add:
> deb http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/repository remastersys/
> 4. install "remastersys",
> 5. ran 'remastersys dist' which excludes home directories.
>
> I modified the basic Ubuntu install by adding a few of my favorite apps. I
> was intending to create a cd iso image but I could not get the iso file
> size small enough, ended up with a 1gb iso file to burn to dvd. I might
> have been able to get a smaller file size by excluding some or all
> of /var but i am not that familiar with what is saved between reboots.
> Pretty painless for a first try though
> --
> Peace
>
> Greg Madden

иж!
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Change before you have to"
"If you want to build a ship
don't herd people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea."
Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery