[aklug] Re: What happened to /etc/profile?

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 08:54:17 AKST

I only have shell access to SuSE and Debian right now, both operating
systems set ENV_PATH (normal users) and ENV_ROOTPATH (SuSE) or
ENV_SUPATH (Debian) in /etc/login.defs. Some minor changes, but the
gist of the file remains the same. The Debian comment says that the
path is required in this file, but that it is minimal and should be
expanded in other login config files.

I also just checked three Debian Lenny boxes, each has the path set in
/etc/profile.

(I checked multiple to make sure it wasn't something I had done myself.)

I also checked an Etch box which also has the path in /etc/profile.

Are you sure it's not a wacky Ubuntu thing?

James