[aklug] respin Ubuntu 8.10

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 17:14:07 AKST

Lot to like about Ubuntu, one thing don't like is the 245mb security
upgrade as soon as you install from the release iso. So how about a
respin with all updates ? I stumbled upon an app called "remastersys"
that will allow you to create a new live install cd or just backup your
existing install. Works on Debian based distros, solid in Ubuntu 8.10.

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/

1. I installed Ubuntu 8.10,
2. updated all the packages (245mb!)
3. modify sources.list add:
deb http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/repository remastersys/
4. install "remastersys",
5. ran 'remastersys dist' which excludes home directories.

I modified the basic Ubuntu install by adding a few of my favorite apps. I
was intending to create a cd iso image but I could not get the iso file
size small enough, ended up with a 1gb iso file to burn to dvd. I might
have been able to get a smaller file size by excluding some or all
of /var but i am not that familiar with what is saved between reboots.
Pretty painless for a first try though

--
Peace
Greg Madden