[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 09:28:41 AKST

Quoting Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>:

> Are there any last minute items that need to be covered before =20
> Saturday? I thought I would ask before it's too late. I have a short =20
> list.
>
> 1. I'm bringing the Linux Journal box tonight so we can see what's in it
> 2. I saw something on the list about a 12PM setup time - I don't =20
> think that's enough time if we open at 1:PM

You didn't mention an alternate time....Stan, how early are you =20
willing to show up?

> 3. Can you make your Linux distribution sing and dance?
>
> Number 3 is very important. It's also the reason I don't like =20
> calling this event an "install fest". A monkey can figure out how to =20
> install Linux. Can you make it do something once it's installed?
>
> I'm working on a check list for my distribution of choice:
>
> 1. Multimedia codecs - mp3 and dvd support
> 2. Java and Flash plugins for firefox
> 3. Photo editing tips
> 4. Music tips - Will buy a few songs from the Amazon music store today
> 5. Tips and Tricks

Damian, if you can find out which repository these are stored in then =20
I'll add them to the mirror I am bringing. (I'm assuming Ubuntu)

If they are separately downloaded...then good links would be helpful =20
as well. Thanks for any info on this you can provide.

> It would be nice if someone could show off OpenOffice. I use it to =20
> open word documents but that's about it. I'm sure I'll think of =20
> something else after I've had my morning Mocha. Caffeine does =20
> wonders for the brain.

I'm thinking that having a machine that folks can play with might be helpful=
.

Mike B.