[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: Stanley Long <slong@acsalaska.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 10:41:26 AKST

Sorry to get out of sequence here.
I started a reply, made a run across town, and returned to find a BUNCH
of activity :-)

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>:
>
>> Are there any last minute items that need to be covered before =20
>> Saturday? I thought I would ask before it's too late. I have a short =20
>> list.
>>
>> 1. I'm bringing the Linux Journal box tonight so we can see what's in it
>> 2. I saw something on the list about a 12PM setup time - I don't =20
>> think that's enough time if we open at 1:PM
>
> You didn't mention an alternate time....Stan, how early are you =20
> willing to show up?

Mike, lets see how late we run tonight.
IF i get my hour snooze this afternoon,
THEN i expect to be OK for the usual 6-hours of Friday Linux.
I plan to leave cables and some tables ready on the way out tonight.
Last week we only had two regulars, one new geek, and one student; I
cleared out early ( 10:30 PM ). None of us really want to leave our toys
behind, though.

>> 3. Can you make your Linux distribution sing and dance?

>> Number 3 is very important. It's also the reason I don't like =20
>> calling this event an "install fest". A monkey can figure out how to =20
>> install Linux. Can you make it do something once it's installed?
>>
>> I'm working on a check list for my distribution of choice:
>>
>> 1. Multimedia codecs - mp3 and dvd support
>> 2. Java and Flash plugins for firefox
>> 3. Photo editing tips
>> 4. Music tips - Will buy a few songs from the Amazon music store today
>> 5. Tips and Tricks

  Comment on Damiens post:
  Damien probably the most active newbie trainer AND facilitator here.
Mostly we feel that the Linux "install" is getting to be the smaller
part of the job. Finding out what the user does, fitting them with
appropriate applications, tutoring, and expanding their vista re:
available tools are the major effort for those cases where we achieve
success. Lots of our "products" are dual booting.

Let me leave a warning: re-configure the sources.list so that the new
machine is not locked into one of our mirrors when they try updating :-)

> Damian, if you can find out which repository these are stored in then =20
> I'll add them to the mirror I am bringing. (I'm assuming Ubuntu)
>
> If they are separately downloaded...then good links would be helpful =20
> as well. Thanks for any info on this you can provide.
>

>> It would be nice if someone could show off OpenOffice. I use it to =20
>> open word documents but that's about it. I'm sure I'll think of =20
>> something else after I've had my morning Mocha. Caffeine does =20
>> wonders for the brain.
>>

> I'm thinking that having a machine that folks can play with might be helpful=
> .
>
> Mike B.

  I have one each Debian and Kubuntu play boxes (Gnome & KDE each). Also
an IMac that we didn't re-load last week. Hope we can do it tonight.
If we expect many customers, it would be nice to have more show boxes.
  Stanley