[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 08:33:27 AKST

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:01:48 -0900, Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
wrote:

> Number 3 is very important. It's also the reason I don't like calling
> this event an "install fest". A monkey can figure out how to install
> Linux.

Thanks for the compliment Damien. I can remember how difficult it was to
do the simple task of installing my first distribution of Linux. However,
I did manage to become proficient at installs after a period of time. I
get the feeling you're not interested in recruiting new people into the
Linux world or did I miss something and this Install Fest is, in your
eyes, for the CLI type?

I've mentioned in the past, some ideas about what I'm seeing that keeps
people from getting involved in Linux, all to no avail. I've never seen
anyone comment on my remarks about addressing the issues confronting
Newbies making the transition from Windows to Linux and how some people
are not interested in CLI but would be happy to remain in the GUI world
without all the pain and expense incurred by using Windows.

I personally thought this Install Fest was a great idea to get some of
that 90% market being held by Microsoft.

Lee Ross
Anchorage, Ak