[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 09:41:26 AKST

Quoting Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net>:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:01:48 -0900, Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
> wrote:
>
>> Number 3 is very important. It's also the reason I don't like calling
>> this event an "install fest". A monkey can figure out how to install
>> Linux.
>
> Thanks for the compliment Damien. I can remember how difficult it was to
> do the simple task of installing my first distribution of Linux. However,
> I did manage to become proficient at installs after a period of time. I
> get the feeling you're not interested in recruiting new people into the
> Linux world or did I miss something and this Install Fest is, in your
> eyes, for the CLI type?
>

> I've mentioned in the past, some ideas about what I'm seeing that keeps
> people from getting involved in Linux, all to no avail. I've never seen
> anyone comment on my remarks about addressing the issues confronting
> Newbies making the transition from Windows to Linux and how some people
> are not interested in CLI but would be happy to remain in the GUI world
> without all the pain and expense incurred by using Windows.

Lee,

Let me take this opportunity to let you know that there are some of us =20
who feel similar to you, however, I don't speak for anyone but myself.

My memory isn't great on this, but I believe that some conversation =20
has taken place with regard to this on this list and continues. More =20
conversation is needed.

My personal choice for folks is to provide them copies of OpenOffice =20
they can use on their Windows PC as well as turn them on to VMWare or =20
Virtual box on their PC (as well as a Live CD) to give Linux/FOSS a try.

Most of the conversions that have occured have been from one of these =20
three methods.

It's more difficult to convert a person that doesn't care how the =20
computer works, so that reduces the low hanging fruit quite a bit.

An example of this for me is my 15 year old daughter...she was willing =20
to give it a try, but as soon as she couldn't use her iPod the way her =20
friends do....it became an uphill battle. She wasn't willing to cross =20
the chasm.

Keep the ideas coming...sometimes we forget what new folks want/need.

Our organization will grow stagnate without new users.

> I personally thought this Install Fest was a great idea to get some of
> that 90% market being held by Microsoft.

This echo's my sentiment as well.

It would be good to hear others thoughts surrounding this topic as well.

Mike B.