[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 14:05:01 AKST

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:33:27 -0900, Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:01:48 -0900, Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
> wrote:
>
>> Number 3 is very important. It's also the reason I don't like calling
>> this event an "install fest". A monkey can figure out how to install
>> Linux.
>
> Thanks for the compliment Damien. I can remember how difficult it was to
> do the simple task of installing my first distribution of Linux.

AKLUG'rs,

I'm going to apologize in advance for this long message. I know it is
normally inappropriate to send this long messages but I believe it's
warranted in this case. Bear with me please.

Thanks for all the good response. All taken to heart and of course, very
educational and inspiring for me. I did get an email reply from Damien,
privately. However I think I like the idea of directing replies to the
mailing list unless solicited otherwise so I'm copying his message below.

Damien, in reference to your last line I'm also copying a message I sent
AKLUG almost two years ago, talking about what I needed and thought others
needed with reference to attacking the learning curve of a new OS. I
wasn't disagreeing with you as much as I was trying to say, "I don't like
being put in the monkey catagory". Same as the Caveman on those TV
commercials that say it is so simple, "even a caveman can do it".

Mike B. sent a message saying the AKLUG Archive search function was broken
so I went to my own archive on an old computer and found that email I had
sent almost two years ago. It's posted below Damien's private message.

Also, refer back to Robert Crowe's message. That message plus mine from a
couple of years back say it all for me and I will be taking a look at that
Newbies Friendly Forum so thank you for that Robert.

This is Damien's message:

I would love to see Linux take over the world. The problem in the "geek"
community is that too many of us think everyone should be like us. Being a
geek should not be a requirement to use Linux.

INSTALLING LINUX IS EASY
In the last couple of years the Open Source developers have created Linux
distributions that are very easy to install. Ubuntu requires you to boot
 from the CD, follow the instructions, point and click with a mouse, done!
How hard is that. Will there be times when things don't work? Sure! But
for the most part Linux is easy to install.

WHAT ARE MOST PEOPLE USING A COMPUTER FOR?
1. Checking email
2. Typing in a word processor
3. Surfing the net
4. Listening to music
5. Watching youtube

You can do some of that on the CLI but why would you want to. We aren't
going to convert anyone by showing them the CLI first. Linux has to
provide people with useful applications. If one can't get any work done on
Linux their going to go back to Windows.

WHAT IS AN "INSTALL FEST"?
I'm no marketing expert but I'm guessing the point of advertising is to
sell a product. How can one sell a product if the target audience has no
idea what the advertisement is about? Ask your non geek friends what an
"install fest" is. Let me know what they say.

We could have said something like "Join the Alaska Linux User Group and
learn how to use FREE, stable, secure and productivity enhancing software
like OpenOffice"

I HOPE THE INSTALL FEST GOES WELL
I hope to see new people learning about Open Source software. I hope to
see new people walking away with a useful new tool of some sort. I hope we
make a difference in the Anchorage community. I just don't think we are
doing a vary good job at the moment.

If you want to disagree with me that's fine. If you do, pleas tell the
rest of use how you would spread open source around the world. If it works
I'll join you.

This is my message from 16mar2007: