Re: A New Focus for AKLUG

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 15:20:18 AKDT

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Damien Hull wrote:

> Are you talking about programming or something else?
>
> I'm interested in both. The "something else" in my case is hacking on
> others code, Linux distro etc... I'm not a programmer but would like to
> know a few things. Python was brought up at the last lab session.
>
> A few weeks back I had to rip into an applications source code. I wanted
> to know how it was doing things. I was shocked to find that it was
> written in Python. Never new you could write GUI applications with
> Python. Cool stuff.

Every major language has GUI library bindings. I'm ashamed to admit it, but
I've even written GUI administrative apps for Windows using Activestate's
Perl w/Tk. The code is completely cross-platform.

Like Perl, Python can take advantage of GTK, Qt, Motif, WxWidgets, OpenGL,
and more. There's a very sizeable game developer community that produces
nothing but Python-based games.

You're always going on about Beryl, their config tool is Python, if I recall
correctly.

> Now if I could just find time to learn it all.

How old are you, Damien? Just stick with it, you've got nothing but time...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die