A New Focus for AKLUG

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.org>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 14:13:21 AKDT

Greetings all,

The AKLUG Laboratory Session every Friday evening provides encouragement
for the individual who wants to switch from Windows (and maybe even
OS-X) to Linux as well as the opportunity for us old hands to have an
eye-ball meeting to help each other as well as the newcommer.

The monthly presentation provides an opportunity for extending the
knowledge base of most of us in the Anchorage bowl into areas that
individually we may not be familiar nor interested. The lack of interest
is typically the result of one's day to day focus.

I have found my interests widen as my day to day focus is forced to
change by the desires of what can be called my client base. Thus, I have
found the monthly presentations valuable as a general education and the
Laboratory Sessions valuable as the specific education when I need help
to implement some new desire from my client base as well as help in
draining the swamp when the alligators seem to be taking over my
workstation.

One of the areas that my education is lacking and AKLUG has not been
helpful, is in the area of software development. I have made a couple of
abortive attempts to participate in the development or maintenance of
Debian packages, and I started a project on sourceforge which quickly
bogged down as my day to day focus was forced to concentrate on draining
the swamp despite the presence of alligators, water moccasins, and other
entangling flora and fauna.

So, I would like to know what projects others may be supporting and at
what level. Is there anyone else out there who has a software project
that is stillborn? I remember the young fellow developing software for
Amateur Radio use of WiFi hardware. I remember trying to download
something, but then the alligators took my attention. Can we consider
this sort of effort one of the activities supported by AKLUG?

This inquiring mind wants to know. =:)}}}

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing