Hi & Distro Recomendation for newbie

From: Weber, Brent <Brent.Weber@acsalaska.com>
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 15:44:23 AKDT

Hello all...

I am starting a data warehousing project at work and have about 15 years
experience developing Windows applications. I have never worked with
Linux. I have played around with FreeBSD a bit at home.

After two weeks of hard thought, I typed "FORMAT C:" on my test server.

I am leaning towards Slackware on the server and Services for Unix on my
dev box. I have heard that Slackware is not for beginners. I don't see
any need to install a desktop on the server, so I like its text based
nature. Am I biting off more than I can chew, or can someone with good
tech skills manage Slackware as their first Linux experience? Any
advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Brent

This transmittal may contain confidential information intended solely for
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this transmittal in error; any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmittal is strictly
us immediately by reply or by telephone (collect at 907-564-1000) and ask to
speak with the message sender. In addition, please immediately delete this
message and all attachments. Thank you. ACS